Sunday, May 02, 2010

Ad nauseam

Photobucket This piece I am calling Ad-nauseam. It's mostly a piece celebrating low brow surrealism. The notion is that mickey is painting with a substance that is mutating into bastard reproductions of himself. When I started this picture I spent a little bit of time contemplating the work of Greg "Craola" Simkins whose work I hope to become more familiar with.


I enjoy Simkins so far because of how he passionately re imagines the still life through his fascination with, and dedication to surrealism. Simkins gave an interview to Hi Fructose magazine Vol 14 2010, where he talks about his process of developing characters by asking himself "what are they dreaming about?" In the article he explains some of the ideas that inspire his pearl thief series. You can check out and support Greg at http://www.imscared.com/

My mickey piece is also a nod to the work of Aesop rock whose music I am presently obsessed with, particularly the labor days album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home